Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The name has a face... :)

This blogging world is nothing short of amazing I tell ya! Sometime a while back I had a blogger leave a comment that went something like this: "I think your house was built for my great-great aunt, let me know if you want any more information." WHAT???? Of course I FREAKED!! When we bought this house all we knew was it was built in 1916 and was known as the Bleak-Peterson house. So to have someone who #1-actually read my blog and #2 have info on my beloved house was nothing short of a miracle. So on a really hot day this past June, I got the greatest package in the mail! And seriously? This woman did her homework!! She sent me page after page of information I would have never been able to find otherwise. But the absolute best?? A picture. Of her. The "first lady" of my home. So without further adieu, let me introduce you to Ellye Ellsworth Irwin Bleak :)

I've never met her, but I love her. Her "somewhere in time" hairdo is so perfect. Her eyes seem so friendly and gracious. She was a photographer, so obviously she was creative:) I feel such a connection with her, walking where she walked, sitting on the front porch where she sat. She would be so sad to know that over the years so many people had "remodeled" her once beautiful home. Few original details were saved. But one item in particular refused to leave. The bathtub :)
While I was soaking here the other night, I couldn't help but smile and think that here I was relaxing in the exact tub where Ellye relaxed at the end of what I'm sure was a long, hard day. I feel so blessed to call this house my home. Thank you Ellye :)
And Marianne, I can't thank you enough for the pictures and wonderful information you sent me. I will, rest assured forever treasure it :)
Isn't blogging the best?! :)

8 comments:

  1. That is amazing...wow...what a great thing to find! I love her name, and her hat.

    I think it would be really special to live in a house with so much history. I can't wait to see more pictures of your home.

    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool story! It must be so awesome to live in a house with history, especially in this land of stucco tract homes. Down with subdivisions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love this story! Old houses are the best! I wish I had my own Ellye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't Ellye lovely? It was a pleasure to share a bit of family history with you! I love that the old tub is still there. I covet that old tub! There is one like it at one of my favorite thrift stores here in town but what would I do with it? I would have to add a bathroom to my home so that I could soak in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorie,

    I just found your blog last week, don't remember what lead me here.... But I'm so glad it did! You have an awesome style of blogging, so happy to read you now every Tuesday!

    Big Hugs,
    Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally fun to learn more of the story!

    ReplyDelete